One year was all it took for the town of Prince George to establish itself as a thriving business centre in the Fort George area.
The series of photos below shows the development of George Street from March 1914 to March 1915 (with a photo from October 1913 also provided for reference purposes). All photos are taken from the top of Connaught Hill, looking north towards the cutbanks. George Street appears as the central road curving up and around from the southeast corner. All photos appear courtesy of the The Exploration Place E. F. Ted Williams History Centre Artifact Database.
A Blank Slate
Taken in October 1913, this photo shows the Prince George townsite after it had been cleared for the official lot and street-plan survey. The photo provides an excellent reference from which to gauge future development.
Twelve Months of Development
March 4, 1914
The rutted dirt road of George Street, running north towards the Fraser River, shows little sign of development save a few buildings at the south end, facing the site of today’s city hall.
April 4, 1914
One month later, construction has begun on lots along the east side of George Street.
May 1, 1914
Buildings along the west side of George street are now taking shape, including the Prince George Hotel, the large, single-level construction site located furthest south along that side of the street.
June 7, 1914
The Prince George Hotel (nearest to centre, directly under the cutbanks) is now complete, and development along the east side is filling in.
September 2, 1914
Six month of development have changed the face of George street significantly.
George Street now presents as a well-established business centre. Prince George was incorporated as a municipality this same month.